Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Various things I’ve noticed about Shanghai and even China in general:

• I do not think Shanghai has squirrels at all – only stray cats and dogs.
• Chinese police will routinely stop drivers at early hours in the morning to check for drunk drivers.
• Shanghai is extremely international – I’ve met people from allll over the world: Australia, Germany, Israel, Korea, France, Morocco, Burundi, Zambia, Singapore, England, Canada, I think you get the point.
• No matter when I get on the metro, I will always be stared at by someone. It has been interesting experiencing life as a minority for once.
• T^T is a smilie that Chinese will use to show that they are crying or upset.
• It is possible to eat dog here – especially in Guangdong providence.
• For the most part, food is ridiculously cheap & so is pretty much everything else besides rent or cars.
• Most restaurants have pictures of the food on their menus which makes it easier to order if you cannot read the characters.
• People openly talk about their bodily issues and don’t typically just say “I have to go to the restroom”.
• They also make more sound effects than I am used to, not only in basic conversations like “oh” and “mmm”, but will “hock/hawk a loogie” or even snot rocket in public quite often. They view it as things that should not be in your system so you might as well get it out when you have it right then.
• Starbucks, KFC, McDonalds, Subway, Carl’s Jr., Pizza Hut, Haggen-Das, Coldstone, and many other Western restaurants all exist here.
• You may see signs that say Merry Christmas up all year. Most Chinese know that it is a Western holiday but do not realize that you only display these things during that season.
• The sense of personal space is much smaller here & people often times push or run into you and do not even stop to say sorry
• The ultimate frisbee league that I started playing on here in Shanghai is so much fun and I am learning an incredible amount. They have many tournaments and I hope to participate in one!



No comments:

Post a Comment