Sunday, October 19, 2014

The Little Rascals of China

Now that I’m back home from a trip to the United States – how weird does that sound?! – I figured it was time to talk about some more differences in the USA and China. Although I don’t have any pictures ready for this post, I promise it will be just as entertaining & informative. I mean it's about the Little Rascals of China, how could it not be?!

This morning, I was riding the metro to work while reading a book that I borrowed from work. Now this book is a graphic novel (The Lightning Theif) and believe it or not but it came in handy to help a crying toddler. Her grandmother just couldn’t get her to be happy. Fruit wasn’t working. Neither were the short but I’m assuming funny phrases she kept trying to tell her. So she says “Look at her book!” and I can understand this much. Knowing they are looking at the cover of the book, I turn it around and let this Chinese toddler flip through this English book. Nonetheless, the grandma wasn’t able to understand any of the words, but it helped entertain the child with all of the pictures and color. Who would have thought it would benefit me bringing a graphic novel with me on the metro? I thought it would just make me look much younger than I am.

Going off of babies, most of them here wear these pants that have slits in their crotches in order for easy access when they have to go to the bathroom. Yes, literally whenever. I have seen kids being held up so they can pee in a trashcan, and kids pooping on a piece of paper – if the parent is prepared - on the sidewalk. It’s almost normal to me now. It’s just a different way of life. I mean it really would save a lot on waste if you think about it, and it allows kids to be potty trained earlier on in life. One of my friends says she sees many parents with pee or poop stains on them since they have to carry their kids, but I have yet to see that. I’m still looking though.

After teaching Chinese children, I have noticed that they also like drinking hot water a lot. The little ones are always asking their parents in the first class to drink water, and you know when one asks, they all want some. When they get sick, the need for water exponentially increases as well! I think they view it as a health-saver almost. I’m not quite sure, but it’s a common solution for anything. Stomach is upset, drink water! Headache, drink water! Feeling cold, drink water!


Living in China definitely has its ups and downs but after this week, I think it is starting to feel more and more like home. I was able to organize my room to my liking by setting up a workout area of my room and got more groceries to stock up my pantry. Now to just find a winter coat since each day is getting colder and colder!

No comments:

Post a Comment