Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Public Transportation - Subway 地铁 (ditie)

After posting the last one, I realized there is more to the APEC meeting especially when it comes to traveling. I have noticed security tighten so much when I take the metro now. Thankfully some if it is very beneficial but others seem a little bothersome.

At the metro stop by my house, they added a metal barrier so that traffic flow is more efficient which is so nice! Now I don’t have to force myself through people just to put my bag on the conveyor belt to be scanned. It’s more orderly.

Today, they added the boxes/trays that you would use at airport security to put bags or small items in. My purse was small, but they didn’t make me put it in one. I don’t get it yet. We shall see what happens in the future. Anyhow, there were two people assigned to this job; one person puts the boxes in the beginning of the belt and receiving the other empty boxes from the other person at the end of it. Talk about a thrilling job.

On my way home at 9:45 pm, I noticed they added another pretty strict lady who would only let a few people go past and stopped the rest until it was clear. Never seen it that controlled before.

I’ve heard from other people who have been to China that they think Chinese people are rude, especially on metros. So here’s my explanation.

People push others just to get on or off the train without apologizing of even thinking of apologizing. That’s just what they’re used to, and I’m starting to become accustomed to it too.

They also rush to get a seat; however, they do still have the common courtesy to let elderly, children and injured sit down first. But when a seat opens up, they have a little argument with their friend over who is going to sit for about 2 minutes – sit! No, you sit! No really, you sit! I don’t need to sit! Please sit! Okay, I guess I will sit if you won’t sit. - I laugh at it every single time.

Another funny thing is how many people run to the stairs when they get out of the train. Often times there are so many people trying to get into a narrow staircase, and it is guaranteed to be packed. To avoid this, they just try and be the first ones there.


Cutting lines is also pretty common. When approaching the counter to add money on your metro card, sometimes it is necessary to make sure you get your turn because others will often mindlessly cut in front of you if you are not assertive. This is common many places, but younger generations are aware of this issue and are trying to slowly change it.

Sometimes I just have to stop and remind myself of TIC - This is China.

No comments:

Post a Comment