Monday, February 4, 2013

Only Eight More...

Time seems to be going by so slowly. I am so anxious to be abroad. This last weekend was spent in Marietta for the last time until August. It's extremely bittersweet to me, but I am excited to explore a new place, meet new people, eat bizarre food and learn the language.

Things that need to be done:
1. Make sure credit card companies know I will be abroad
2. Call AT&T & ask about going abroad
3. Cancel my Planet Fitness membership & Netflix account.
4. Study Chinese
5. Pack!

The list I have on my phone is much more lengthy, but I figured this would be enough for me to rant about on here.

To start off, I am opening a new account at Bank of America since Chase does not have any banks in China. Bank of America is partnered with China Construction Bank and will not charge me transaction fees to withdraw money there! It's important to do research like this before going abroad. Also, in order to use credit/debit cards abroad without banks putting a hold on your account, you have to call them and notify them of this. It is a simple call to do, but somethings that could be easily forgotten about.

In regards to AT&T, I am not taking my phone abroad because I will have my iPad. I need to chat with AT&T about potentially shutting of my phone but not losing my number. This one I am unsure about so hopefully my dad will have some free time this week to help me figure this out. I wouldn't want to pay for my phone when I am not even using it; however, I don't want to have the hassle of getting a new number when I return.

Sadly, I will not be watching Netflix in China. There is a Facebook page that all of the students who are studying abroad through Alliance are on and some of them have said that Netflix doesn't even work in China.  I was planning on cancelling mine anyways since I want to get the full immersion to the culture. As for Planet Fitness, I will have to pay for another gym service in China once I get there, or just find a park with some outdoor workout machines like I saw when I went to Beijing during the summer of 2010.

Study Chinese/China - I will be going through all of the old papers & books that I have from Chinese 101-301 just to refresh my memory. There will be language placement test the first week that I get there so I want to be on my "A" game. I will be also doing some extra studying of food and traveling vocabulary in order to prepare myself for everyday life. I have also been reading other student blogs and looking up where I want to visit during my travel time. This has made me the most anxious yet excited to go!

And finally, packing! This is what I am dreading. I am taking two suitcases there, but putting the smaller one inside the bigger one for the plane ride there just because I plan on buying a lot of souvenirs and gifts while abroad. I sure hope I can get it all to fit.  With some of the research that I've done thus far, I know that I will be packing lots of American deodorant, tampons, and peanut butter since those are things that found easily in China.

Time to knock things off of my to do list!

No comments:

Post a Comment