Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Long Weekend Trip

We went to Shaoxing (绍兴) which is the hometown of Luxun (鲁迅) who is an extremely famous Chinese writer. When we first got there, we went to eat and then went to all the touristy areas such as his house, ride on a small boat on the canal and tried the famous stinky tofu. Since I couldn't stand the smell and I hate tofu, I did not try it. There were mixed reviews on it. Either you loved it or you hated it.

As we drove there, we had seen houses for the first time. So far in Shanghai, it seems like everyone lives in apartments. There is some type of solar energy that they use on top of their houses that everyone has! I feel like it might be used to make hot water, but I'm going to look more into it to figure it out.

That evening we explored and found a little night market. Our hotel is extremely nice compared to our dorms so I was extremely thankful for the comfy bed and nice amenities. After a wonderful breakfast at the hotel, we loaded the bus to go to Xinchang (新昌) to go to a valley and hike around for a bit. We were held up by some traffic on the way there due to a car accident on small road. But we eventually got there. In the middle of the hike, we stopped at a little family restaurant which we think ended up making a few people sick later on in the trip, but we are not exactly sure whether or not that was the cause. I added a picture of the bathroom there... lets just say that everyone decided to not use it! This place was absolutely gorgeous though!

Then we went to Hangzhou (杭州) and I was able to meet up with Will and Meg that night! We shopped around Hefeng Street, saw the West Lake night fountain show, and ate at Grandma's Kitchen. It was an absolutely wonderful evening. The fountain show was incredibly breathtaking, unfortunately, I did not have my iPad to take pictures but my friend, Sally, did so I will get them from her eventually. And this restaurant was delicious & I found out they're a franchise which is also in Shanghai! I will definitely be going there again!

The next day was a nightmare, to say the least! My roommate was sick all night from food positioning so we got a late start to the day as we had to tend to her needs in order for her to be well enough to return to Shanghai on the bus with us (2.5 hour bus ride when you have food poisoning is a bit of a challenge without proper medicine). So while she is getting medicine, the rest of us venture out to West Lake, but our bus sideswipes a car on the way there so we had to wait for the bus driver, police and the other driver to verbally fight it out. Eventually our tour guide hands over some money and runs away! It's a whole different story when dealing with car accidents here.

And thennnn after touring around West Lake we go to find our bus which takes at least 45 minutes of walking. At that point in time we are all tired and hungry and some of us were not feeling so well. We show up to the restaurant we have reservations for at least an hour late, but luckily all the food is ready for us. We feasted and then headed out to go see the Tiger Springs (which were pretty neat!). There we were able to try some of the water and explore the park. And finally we pick up my roommate and head back to Shanghai. But of course, we have to stop for bathroom breaks and food. So we got KFC which was an adventure in it of itself since we have 30+ people in our group.

Overall, it was a wonderful trip and makes me want to take more weekend adventures! I was glad to get out of Shanghai for a bit and truly felt more immersed in the Chinese culture. Many more people were shocked to see foreigners (waiguoren 外国人/laowai 老外). I managed to have some short conversations in Chinese with both locals and other tourists which increases my confidence in my Chinese skills a whole lot! Our group is getting along so well thus far. I'm so happy with just about everything. Our next adventure is a weeklong trip to Hongkong, Macao and Guangzhou. I cannot wait! And after that, in the beginning of May, I have decided to go to Malaysia with my friend Sally for a week.









No comments:

Post a Comment